In the early years of the 20th century, the pioneering obstetrician, Joseph Bolivar DeLee, established the Chicago Lying-In Hospital. This was an innovative facility, which by adopting strict hygienic practices and training practitioners in the best surgical techniques, achieved levels of maternal and infant mortality that were far below those considered acceptable at the time. In the late 1920s, Dr. DeLee and the Hospital’s Board of Directors decided to affiliate with the University of Chicago, in order to benefit from the University’s strong commitment to medical education and research. The University donated a site for a new Chicago Lying-In Hospital, which, when it opened in 1931, represented the best in American obstetrics. In 1938 the Chicago Lying-In Hospital was merged with the University of Chicago Clinics. Dr. DeLee was the first Chairman of the new Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Since that time that Department has continued to lead in OBGYN education, research, and innovative and compassionate patient care.